Saturday, March 2, 2013

REVIEW: The Ward by Jordana Frankel

The Ward
by
Publisher:  Katherine Tegen Books
Release:  April 30, 2013
Source:  Edelweiss

Goodreads Summary:
Sixteen-year-old Ren is a daredevil mobile racer who will risk everything to survive in the Ward, what remains of a water-logged Manhattan. To save her sister, who is suffering from a deadly illness thought to be caused by years of pollution, Ren accepts a secret mission from the government: to search for a freshwater source in the Ward, with the hope of it leading to a cure.

However, she never expects that her search will lead to dangerous encounters with a passionate young scientist; a web of deceit and lies; and an earth-shattering mystery that’s lurking deep beneath the water’s rippling surface.

Jordana Frankel’s ambitious debut novel and the first in a two-book series, The Ward is arresting, cinematic, and thrilling—perfect for fans of Scott Westerfeld or Ann Aguirre.

My Thoughts:
I really liked this book, but I just couldn't get into the setting or characters.  The Ward is supposed to take place in a future NYC.  I live an  hour away from NYC and I just couldn't place where this book takes place.  Things just weren't explained enough for me.  The mobiles they drive, how the mobiles get from building to building, what the buildings look like, even what the characters look like.  What I did love though, was the dedication Renata had for her "sister" Aven.  Ren risked her life over and over to make the best like she could for Aven.  I really liked Derek until about 3/4 of the way through.  I would really like to see a sequel, but with better world building and characterization.


No comments:

Post a Comment