Sunday, August 5, 2012

My reading dilemma

I have never NOT finished a book.  I always feel like I would hurt it's feelings if I did. lol  So now I'm reading this book that I got from Netgalley, and I've been trying to read it for about 3 weeks now and I'm not even half way through.  I have many other books to read and review and I feel like I should just move on.

Have you ever not finished a book?  What were your reasons?  Did you feel bad about it?  What if it was a review copy?  I just feel like I've given this book plenty of time to catch my attention, and it just hasn't.  I can't relate to the characters at all, I think they're all stuffy and self centered, and it just drives me crazy!!  Any advice for a newer blogger?


7 comments:

  1. That's OK, why do you have to waste any more time over a book that you don't like? Even if it's a review copy the same logic applies. Hey, you read on your dime not anybody else's, you decide how you want to spend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. It makes me feel better. lol

      Delete
  2. Set it aside. I find that somedays I can read one book,other days I can pick it up without hesitation. I used to force myself to finish every book I started; but I have decided that that is pure foolishness. Now, I only finish those that move me.

    There are too many good books out there to waste your time on something you don't enjoy.

    Hugs
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time finishing butnif it is not working must send the publisher a note and tell them you are respedtfully declining the review. The book is not working for you and you would prefer to decline and not finish the book rather than write a negative review. I am sure they will be fine with that. It ksn't worth struggling over. I quit reading a poorly written self pubbed book last year and I felt it was better than to write a bad review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Netgalley. It looked interesting but I just couldn't get into it. The characters were pretty blank. I still feel bad because I normally don't drop books but I have over 400 on my kindle, not including the paper books I have.

      Delete
  4. I used to plow through a book no matter if I hated it or not. Then I met my boyfriend and he pointed out how many books I want to read that I haven't yet, and that life is much too short to read books that are dull, or you hate!!

    What did you end up doing?

    I'm a new follower. I found you on Facebook :)
    www.bibliographyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wound up dumping it. I think it had potential but it just wasn't for me.

      Delete